Flipping your switch can seem like a massive undertaking. One that there are a million different ways to achieve if all the articles on the internet have anything to say about it. However, flipping your switch is a personal undertaking, one that may have similar milestones for everyone, but really can and should be curtailed to a person’s needs in order to be successful. Keep reading for the 7 steps you need to personalize to flip your own switch.
1. Find an Activity that Challenges You
2. Commit to yourself
- The activity that will most help you flip your own switch is the one that challenges you. Not your neighbor or your sibling. But you. This could be as simple as folding an entire basket of laundry in one sitting or the Sunday morning crossword in pen.
3. Set Realistic Goals
- Whatever challenge you’re undertaking, you’re doing it for you. Make a promise to yourself that you will try your hardest and not give up when the going gets tough.
4. Turn off the T.V. (or the Internet) In General
- Make sure your goals are attainable. You aren’t going to fold all the laundry that you do on Sunday by the end of Sunday. But maybe you could at least hang up the stuff that will wrinkle. Or perhaps you will only use a pen on the crossword answers you feel 100% certain about, pencil on the rest.
5. Remove Interruptions
- Get rid of the useless distractions. That show is not going to help you concentrate or make time go faster, so just don’t. You can’t flip your switch on one activity if your brain is partially paying attention to another.
6. Track Your Progress
- Kids, phones, whatever. Do your best to remove the interruptions that you know will crop up.
7. Enjoy Your Experiences
- Find an easy way (read: not time-consuming, expensive, or labor-intensive) to track your progress. Sometimes this is a calendar to check off days. For others, maybe you need to journal about your feelings, how it went, or your next goal to achieve.
- Enjoy what you’re doing and the experiences you are having. It’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey.
Learning to flip your switch is a process, not a one-day training online. It will take time and practice to find out exactly what it takes for you to be in the zone.
Barker Business Services/Marilyn Barker Speaks
Business Consultant/Goal Coach/Speaker